Call of Duty: World at War - Gen. Disc. & Info

Anybody else notice one of the marine raider narrator sounds just like keifer sutherland?
It's funny having Jack Bauer yelling at me at the end for losing the round "Those men died for nothing!!!".
Sorry Jack, not everyone is badass like you.

Game plays somewhat like CoD4 by still feels sloppy somehow.
Still it's pretty fun and i definitely love the dogs, i'll choose them over the heli any day.

There's almost no point to even try using a bolt action in the beta. Takes twice to down someone, even when you nail center mass...

[quote name='Schmackledorf']There's almost no point to even try using a bolt action in the beta. Takes twice to down someone, even when you nail center mass...[/quote]
Which makes sense somewhat, a 1-shot kill weapon would kinda be overpowering. Besides using them as snipers, I'm sure there's a perk that would make it better (like faster reloading), just not in the beta. It would probably be 1-shot kill in hardcore.. =p

[quote name='Schmackledorf']There's almost no point to even try using a bolt action in the beta. Takes twice to down someone, even when you nail center mass...[/quote]

I am actually fairly good with it and get headshots. If you try to shoot someone anywhere that is not the head you are missing the point. Bolt action rifles are meant to get headshots.

[quote name='supraazn']Anybody else notice one of the marine raider narrator sounds just like keifer sutherland?[/quote]It is Keifer Sutherland :cool:

It's also the best part of the game.

Have a code for tr-oh right I can't offer my code up unlike, you know, all the LBP codes that were put up for trade.

Such garbage.

Anyways, fun game so far.

I agree, but I think the higher up ones like the Kar will take them in one shot

[quote name='shinryuu']Which makes sense somewhat, a 1-shot kill weapon would kinda be overpowering.[/quote]

Works for DoD, and it's way easier to aim on the PC, soooo

[quote name='The 7th Number']What guns shoot at rapid speeds? I always see it in the replay when they kill me. But my SMG or Machine Gun hardly shoot as fast as what i see.[/quote]

They might have one of those modded controllers or the kill cam might be off

After playing it for a bit, I was about ready to hit my face against my controller after I joined a room, and the first thing I hear is "(person's name) don't kill anyone, we are doing the glitch".... >___>. Better patch this before the BETA ends, don't want the entire thing to be like this.

Yeah, I came home to find a beta e-mail in my inbox. Downloading as well.

Hope to get a few rounds in before heading to bed tonight.

My thoughts, prepare for a long post:

Okay so these are my initial thoughts after playing 1-2 hours of it yesterday. This is just for those of you that are wondering about it, but can't get your hands on the Beta. Of course these are merely thoughts on the Multiplayer and keep in mind this is a Beta.

So the first thing I notice is how unpolished it looks compared to COD4. The graphics look very downgraded. Possibly due to it being a Beta. I have no idea. This is not much of a problem as it is not very noticeable.

The other thing I realized is that it is very different in terms of shooting. This is a WWII game and not based on modern warfare, which we are ever so used to. Many of the effective guns are bolt-action or semi-automatic guns. This changes things quite a bit. Instead of running and blasting like a mad man. You will certainly need to be more cautious. And it is apparent that people are "camping" more.

Even though this is a game based on WWII, it still contains many different forms of perks and equipment that remind me of COD4 quite a bit. (Ex. Satchel charges = C4 explosives, Pack of Dogs = Helicopter) Which by the way is very difficult to kill. I find that dogs are more effective than Helicopters. :) So the similarities and charm is clearly there, but in a new coat of paint. Which in my 2 hours of playing seems like a breath of fresh air.

The guns are as expected. You have the usual: Thompson, Trench Gun, Springfield etc. Some seem to be very underpowered especially some of the single shot rifles. Perhaps it needs some getting use to. I haven't got a chance to try any of the later guns as I have not unlocked them yet.

Then there are new additions to the experience. Tanks. Tanks are mainly for larger maps that have more of an open space. You will find that tanks are generally overpowered. You will find yourself getting raped by a large explosion as soon as you see a tank. Although many may disagree with me, I think that tanks can easily be taken out at the same time. I think they did a good job of balancing this out.

Maps. Maps are a bit different from COD4 maps. Like I mentioned before; things like Tanks allow for more of a variety of size when we're talking about maps. For me, some maps seem a little awkward and unbalanced. Many maps are built upon a circle type of walkway. You will find yourself walking over the same patch of land you did before. (Mainly in TDM.) I would imagine this would get tiresome quick, but who knows? We'll have to wait and see.

So yeah, it was pretty good. I enjoyed it quite a lot. For those of you looking for a brand new Call of Duty with new features and revolutionary gameplay, wait a few more years. For those of you that have not played COD very much, this looks like a great time to check out the series. And for the COD4 players, you might want to check this out if you're getting tired of the whole modern thing.

Of course these are my views, and strictly from the Beta.

wow idk y but i was inclined to check my email in hopes of getting a code (i signed up the day they mentioned a beta for pc/360 @ callofduty.com) i was even going to go tom morning to gamestop to reserve the game but i somehow got a code in my e-mail 889.98MB DOWNLOAD YES!!!!!!! see you guys out there

Well I personally think the tanks are underpowered in terms of doing damage but they absorb a ridiculous amount of damage in return.

I'd personally make it so tanks do more damage and then weaken them to how much damage they can take. Unless I utterly suck at using the tank, I can't count how many times I've sent a tank blast at another player and it hit them and not kill. I think getting a blast by a tank in the midsection should kill but that's just me.

holy crap, i figured out a way to get unlimited codes... should i keep to myself (i swear i am not abusing it i just found out and tested it ONCE so i know it would work)

[quote name='eminemobied12']holy crap, i figured out a way to get unlimited codes... should i keep to myself (i swear i am not abusing it i just found out and tested it ONCE so i know it would work)[/quote]

Spread the wealth man!

As far as tanks, i hate when i shoot near a dude and he doesnt die. Sometimes on a guy and he dont die. Its a CANON!!! Everything the bullet hits, or near it should die.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Spread the wealth man!

As far as tanks, i hate when i shoot near a dude and he doesnt die. Sometimes on a guy and he dont die. Its a CANON!!! Everything the bullet hits, or near it should die.[/quote]

would seem douchy to tell everyone how to do it... if u need one i guess i can get you one (if a friend needs it or something) but no ebaying or crap like that

EDIT: after one round of this i have to say this is like a clone of COD4 (i know everyone has been saying that but i didn't know it was jusr a different coating on the characters/maps to this)... but so far pretty good

Edit 2: Dogs are the BEST addition ever

[quote name='yukine']Well I personally think the tanks are underpowered in terms of doing damage but they absorb a ridiculous amount of damage in return.

I'd personally make it so tanks do more damage and then weaken them to how much damage they can take. Unless I utterly suck at using the tank, I can't count how many times I've sent a tank blast at another player and it hit them and not kill. I think getting a blast by a tank in the midsection should kill but that's just me.[/quote]
I understand what you're talking about. But if you aim directly at the person he would die. They did make it more lineant so that explosions near you wont cause too much damage, but direct hits do kill them. The other possibility is that they aren't registering as direct hits.

[quote name='eminemobied12']holy crap, i figured out a way to get unlimited codes... should i keep to myself (i swear i am not abusing it i just found out and tested it ONCE so i know it would work)[/quote]
20081006.jpg

I've also come into an extra code. If anyone has some spare MS Points or an Arcade game, I'd like to trade. My girlfriend's Xbox is barren :cry:

after playing the beta over the weekend and yesterday i have to say it's good. i'm not the best cod player to begin with but i finally was able to get a art. strike and release the dogs. i had to use the tank to achieve this but like i said i'm not the best player. the guns are going to be my biggest problem with the multiplayer. maybe as i get a higher level there will be a gun i like that will work best for me. i was spoiled by the weapons of cod 4 i mainly use the mp5, rpd or p90 but the thompson or the bar just don't work for me. hopfully i'll get used to them so i can get better kills and take advantage of getting the collector's edition with the double xp weekend the week it comes out.

I just had a nice time in a tank. I also just got artillery and dogs from using the tank and damn does it feel good to hear the dogs tearing up your enemy. Really god damn annoying when it's used on you though...

[quote name='eminemobied12']would seem douchy to tell everyone how to do it... if u need one i guess i can get you one (if a friend needs it or something) but no ebaying or crap like that[/QUOTE]

I could use a code for a friend. Or did I just call your bluff?

For some stupid reason, they sent me the same code 4 times. I wonder if it'll work 3 more times.

Anyway, I played like...one round of Capture the Flag. It was okay. No one was communicating with anyone, at least on my side. The highlight (a very sad highlight btw) was the Japanese guy spouting off every 2 minutes "ENEMY FLAG HAS BEEN RETURNED!" and "ENEMY FLAG CAPTURED!" and my favorite "YOU HAVE DISGRACED OUR ANCESTORS!". If this is the best Treyarch can do, people should seriously stick to Call of Duty 4.

It seems like 50% of the time im always playing on Makin, IMO the worst map. The map i get the least is the train yard, which is my favorite of the 3. Im getting better with the tanks. Bolt Action Rifle....or whatever they are called, are pretty useless. I mean you have to load each bullet. Who do you think is gunna win between that and a machine gun? Unless you get headshots, by the time you load the 2nd bullet you are dead.

Makin is the BEST map, it's the only one that doesnt have anything really wrong with it.

Castle = Spawn points are jacked, people camping and pegging you one after another

That Tank One = GLITCHED, people can get UNDER the map and kill you, already busted

Makin has had zero glitches or problems for me, so therefore it is the best map by default

That said, I just played this for like 6 hours straight with some people and... I'm sold, haha. I was gonna just rent this for the single player, but I can see people shying from COD4 to this. The dogs are wild. Artillery is cool, dont like how it slows you down after each blast.

[quote name='KingBroly']Is there a way to play with friends in the beta? Or is just random luck?[/QUOTE]

At the party screen press Y and it will bring up the friends list and you can invite from there.

Man i hate when i shoot someone up and they end up killing me in the end. Its such bullshit. Then the replay looks like im shooting behind the guy. Maybe its due to my internet, i only get max 3/4 bars, and when i get 2/4 bars then i really end up with a terrible K/D ratio. :(

And whats with this Makin map. I seem to always get it. I played today and got it three times in a row, with the same group of people, and no one veto'd.

If you're still trying to get into the beta why not just go reserve it at Gamestop? I did on Monday and went to this site http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/codwwbeta/ put in the info from my receipt and the beta code was in my email inbox the next morning.

Now if only I could stop playing Saints Row 2 long enough to let it finish downloading...

wtf... i preordered it at gamestop literally 5 minutes after my brother did, but he got his code yesterday afternoon but i still havent got mine

i'm growing impatient:bomb::bomb::bomb:

i watched him a little though, the under the map glitch needs to be fixed that has the potential to ruin a whole match if somebody sits under there the whole time... some guy went 26/0 because he was under there the whole time

[quote name='BL00DW0LF']wtf... i preordered it at gamestop literally 5 minutes after my brother did, but he got his code yesterday afternoon but i still havent got mine

i'm growing impatient:bomb::bomb::bomb:

i watched him a little though, the under the map glitch needs to be fixed that has the potential to ruin a whole match if somebody sits under there the whole time... some guy went 26/0 because he was under there the whole time[/quote]

I was just going to comment on that. I was just playing and died by 3 different players by this glitch. I love the map, but its unplayable if people sit under the map. If i catch them killing me that way, they get a negative review.

I just got off playing one match. The problem with Call of Duty's matchmaking, in general, is that you are never matched up with players your rank. It's always you're a level 2, everyone else is a level 11 (the current maximum). Real fair, not. If they fixed that one aspect, everything would be fine.

bread's done
Back