GGT 106 : In Memorandum of The Black Mage

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Jesus, Jo-El. Might as well turn yourself into RoboCop.[/QUOTE] Only if I can get myself a sweet ass gun like his. :cool:

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I just saw a commercial for Mortal Kombat on Telemundo. It is the only game commercial I've ever seen on it. Also PS3 version.

Solo hace todo.

MK = for Mexicans confirmed.[/QUOTE] Funny thing, about 6 years ago, I'd watch Telemundo at 4 AM (even though I can't understand Spanish) because they showed the MK cartoon (or Kartoon).

[quote name='panzerfaust']Cutscene heavy games are fine -- MGS4 just did a really shitty job with it is all.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ihadFG']I feel the exact opposite. Cutscene heavy games are usually not great, but I loved MGS4's cutscenes.[/QUOTE]
I agree with ihadFG, that's completely how I feel on the matter.

Well, it's more like MGS instead of just MGS4. I love ALL the MGS games, but can't stand most other long cutscene games.

And, j-cart! Fable 2 is a shit ton better than the first game! You should try that if you haven't yet. Everything is perfect in it.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Add me if you ever want to play MK9 (or SSF4 or whatever), holdthephone. Once PSN is reanimated, of course. :cool:

Also, it'll be whack as hell if Skyward Sword suddenly becomes Twilight Princess all over again... :([/QUOTE]

I tried to add holdthephone on psn like 8 months ago. Still pending :cry:

I don't think MGS4 would be worthwhile at all without at least some knowledge of the series.

MGS4's gameplay's fun, that's the only thing you'd get out of it if you hadn't played the others. It'd be stupid to play that one first.

Even though 3 is a prequel, I believe it's still best to play them the way they're numbered. You get so much joy out of MGS3 when you catch all the funny little references.

Edit: Just beat ilomilo. Game made me depressed as fuck. That game is too sad for its own good.

Double edit: Forgot to mention this, I think, but I beat Bulletstorm yesterday and at one point I got a skill shot that was so huge it froze the game. fuckin' AWESOME.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CaptainJoel']Yeah, but I think I maaaay really be. :(

Hey, Portal techniques are important stuff!

Also, no joke. Think I have colon cancer. Going for tests on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

You and me now have something in common, except I stopped talking about it and giving people updates. I'm still under watch myself, just for a different type.

[quote name='distgfx']You and me now have something in common, except I stopped talking about it and giving people updates. I'm still under watch myself.[/QUOTE]
Seriously? Wow, I'm sorry to hear that, man :cry:

[quote name='CaptainJoel']
And, j-cart! Fable 2 is a shit ton better than the first game! You should try that if you haven't yet. Everything is perfect in it.[/QUOTE]

Always bringing the laughter.
I got Fable 2 for free... and I still feel kind of ripped off by it. :)
Never played Fable, so maybe it's an improvement... but the game wasn't nearly interesting enough for me to care about the third installment.

ilomilo, on the other hand, i like, but like critter crunch, i played so much of it and lost interest for now. i'm sure i'll go back someday... but that's been happening a lot. i got about 1/2 through DR2:case west and stopped caring as well.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']MGS4's gameplay's fun, that's the only thing you'd get out of it if you hadn't played the others. It'd be stupid to play that one first.

Even though 3 is a prequel, I believe it's still best to play them the way they're numbered. You get so much joy out of MGS3 when you catch all the funny little references.
[/QUOTE]

Yep, I'd agree. They should really be played in order. Probably more so than any other game series in my opinion. Well, maybe except for Ace Attorney.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Always bringing the laughter.
I got Fable 2 for free... and I still feel kind of ripped off by it. :)
Never played Fable, so maybe it's an improvement... but the game wasn't nearly interesting enough for me to care about the third installment.

ilomilo, on the other hand, i like, but like critter crunch, i played so much of it and lost interest for now. i'm sure i'll go back someday... but that's been happening a lot. i got about 1/2 through DR2:case west and stopped caring as well.[/QUOTE]
It is such an improvement over the first game it's crazy, the second is the best in the trilogy. If you think Fable 2 is bad you should play the third. Fable 3 is one of the shittiest games I've ever played EVER. They literally break everything that was so good about the second game. They make it so bad that it's actually worse than the first game.

ilomilo is really good, I liked it more than Critter Crunch. I like those kind of puzzle games better than the jewel matching kind. I've been having the same thing with Arcade games. I still need to finish Guardian of Light.

[quote name='distgfx']Time for an online bro fist.[/QUOTE]
brofist.jpg

[quote name='ihadFG']Yep, I'd agree. They should really be played in order. Probably more so than any other game series in my opinion. Well, maybe except for Ace Attorney.[/QUOTE] I agree with that, too. Ace Attorney is hard as fuck to hop into at Trials and Tribulations and trying to understand everything. My sister wanted to play them and tried to start with TT and she quit less than halfway through because she didn't get everyone's relationships.

I was forced against my will to get a new video card so that i can play 3d blu-ray movies on PC, so i ended up with a new in box Nvidia GT240 from craigslist for a whopping 30 bucks. Already tested it out and 3D works great, even youtube 3d.

Now, i am considering trying out some pc games to check out the stereoscopic 3d on them that arent avail elsewhere, perhaps even portal 2. Looks like i'll need to recover my steam l/p.

For some reason CAG keeps giving me game dating site ads.

Just got done playing some more Enslaved. Don't know what the fuck Ninja Theory was thinking when they wrote this game.

MGS4 was just meant to be a nostalgia overload for fans, and in that sense I enjoyed it very much as well. As a game though, it felt pretty dated.

MMmmm, but a good kind of bad. As in, stealth gameplay = rambo. It was very arcade-like. And the ways you could fuck around were pretty fun.

But MGS4 was like, for real, Snake had the same animations he had on the PS1. And the bosses sucked.

[quote name='BlueScrote']I tried to add holdthephone on psn like 8 months ago. Still pending :cry:[/QUOTE]

PSN has been down though! For the past 8 months...

[quote name='Chacrana']The writing's on the wall.[/QUOTE] Yes, quite literally, it seems. :D

[quote name='distgfx']What goes up, must come down[/QUOTE]
This is a pickup line I used a couple of times, but I stopped using it because I realized girls could misinterpret it to mean their shirts should stay down.

---
Hey, Dragon Age peeps! What class/race should I play? I'm thinking Mage, but don't know what race. I played human royal or whatever last time and got extremely bored.

Yep, Origins! I figured I might as well hop on buying the UE and playing through all the DLC (since it was only $30 on GameStop's site) before I grab DA2.

I wasn't really sure because last time I was just a Warrior and ended up getting bored pretty quickly. I figure if I pick a class with a littler more dazzle I'll like it longer. When it comes to WRPGs I pretty much only play ME.

I liked being an elvish archer.
I had played human royal tank when I did a run through that game and ended up using Leliana as an archer for the person I controlled 98% of the time.

Mage is by far the most powerful, though if you don't play a rogue, you're more-or-less forced to drag Leliana around for the whole damn game to unlock chests (and even then, a main-character rogue can do a better job of that).

[quote name='corrosivefrost']I liked being an elvish archer.
I had played human royal tank when I did a run through that game and ended up using Leliana as an archer for the person I controlled 98% of the time.[/QUOTE]
I'll try Elf, too, then!

[quote name='ihadFG']I played a mage. It was very fun. What system are you playing on?[/QUOTE]
360 now, played on PS3 first and hated it. Probably had something to do with the controller.

[quote name='The Crotch']Mage is by far the most powerful, though if you don't play a rogue, you're more-or-less forced to drag Leliana around for the whole damn game to unlock chests (and even then, a main-character rogue can do a better job of that).[/QUOTE]
I may play rogue on my second playthrough then. I'd like to treat this like Mass Effect and have a good and bad playthrough.

[quote name='panzerfaust']All the chests in Dragon Age contain trash, even the locked ones.[/QUOTE] That's a good thing to know off the bat, thanks :applause:

[quote name='The Crotch']That's DA2, bromander.

You get, like, half your god damn EXP in DAO from chests and traps.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's a good point. But in terms of tangible items, it's still shit. You get good gear off bosses and aside from buying tons of potions, I probably only bought like 3 pieces of gear from merchants.

Won't buy Fable 2. If I ever play it, it will because someone bought it for me. Much like how I got to play Asscreed 2. Hated the first, friend bought it for me. Fun, but not a MUST play game.

Everyone is good in DA:O, in the late game. Early game Mages suck. Agreed about the level system in bioware games, but it was still a solid experience. Once again, didn't buy the game, brother got it for me.

If you don't like MGS it is because you cannot relate to being a BAMF. Seriously, dude took on a fucking TANK by myself, that warrants my attention.

You guys need to understand something about WRPGs. Balder's Gate and Diablo 2 are your pillars of amazing, everything should be trying to copy them.

Baldur's Gate and Diablo 2, eh? A game where you can't run and a game where your running is limited by your stamina? I can see that going over real well these days...

At the risk of sounding like a broken piece of black plasticy-looking giant disk thing, I'd say my perfect game - and perfect WRPG - would be a hybrid of Planescape Torment, Dragon Age Origins, and Half-Life 2. Valve knows how to tell a story without words a fuck of a lot better than anyone at Bioware, Obsidian, Bethesda, or Blizzard seems to.
[quote name='panzerfaust']I guess that's a good point. But in terms of tangible items, it's still shit. You get good gear off bosses and aside from buying tons of potions, I probably only bought like 3 pieces of gear from merchants.[/QUOTE]
Do you remember your first run of DAO? Shit can get hard (especially if you're a completionist - fucking revenants), and locked chests are where you find cuntloads of injury kits and health poultices. There are a few chests in particular - especially towards the end of the Sacred Ashes questline - that have some pretty good gear in them.

Also! I strongly recommend that, when the game truly begins and you get the branching quest paths, you go to the tower first. Strongly, strongly, strongly. Always the best place to start.

Diablo2 had HC mode. That was my pinnacle of WRPG online experience. Soo much rage when my character was backstabbed for loot. Though I did it quite often too :D

Thanks to manthing:

Vanquish can be had for PS3 or 360 for $18 or so with in-store pickup via toysrus.com.

--

I can understand someone having issues with ps3 vs. 360 controller when it comes to something like, say, FPS games, where the analog placements and the triggers really make a difference... or fighters where the d-pad makes a difference... but a WRPG? That just seems strange to me, friend-o.

[quote name='icebeast']linkpwns? That used to hang out on the corner?[/QUOTE]
I heard that linkpwns finally got his propas.

[quote name='CaptainJoel'] Just got done playing some more DmC. Don't know what the fuck Capcom was thinking when they had Ninja Theory make this game.[/QUOTE]
Fixed for future truth.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Thanks to manthing:

Vanquish can be had for PS3 or 360 for $18 or so with in-store pickup via toysrus.com [/QUOTE]
Hope Amazon matches, because I don't feel like driving to TRU anytime soon.

I just started playing my elf mage in dragon age origins. Only thing I don't like is I only play the game once or twice a week so I have trouble remember what spell coresponds to which icon in the quick select menu. That and I don't seem to have enough persuassion to do anything the 'good' way. Alastair keeps getting upset.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Yo, that shit is HELLA NASTY. Good lord it's awful.[/QUOTE]

Super awful. I wasted a pizza. And I can't even pick them off because they're under the cheese.

My whole life is ruined now :cry:

[quote name='CaptainJoel']It's hard to explain, just for the kind of gameplay in DAO the PS3 controller did no feel right.[/QUOTE]

I thought the camera in DA:O was a little too close on the consoles, but besides that it wasn't too bad... well I mean other than having a limited number of hot-keys, but they dropped the difficulty a bit for consoles to make up for that. I actually own both, but for some reason I'm basically purely a console gamer now, so I played it through on the PS3 instead of PC (well, that and it doesn't run great on my PC). I will say that the whole not being able to pause didn't bother me though, as I tried to pause as little as possible when I played the game.

[quote name='whoknows']Super awful. I wasted a pizza. And I can't even pick them off because they're under the cheese.

My whole life is ruined now :cry:[/QUOTE]

At least Sonic Generations is still coming out.

Cheer up. ^__^

bread's done
Back