Kotaku.com talks smack about CAG

[quote name='Short Round']There is no such thing as bad press, or at least, I believe that's how the old adage goes.

Just look through this thread and you'll find several new people that have signed up to the sight just to talk about this.[/quote]

Every forum seems to have that one thread that rapidly spreads around the internet because it is hilarious, awesome, informative or a good read. Maybe this is Cag's?

[quote name='Layziebones']Every forum seems to have that one thread that rapidly spreads around the internet because it is hilarious, awesome, informative or a good read. Maybe this is Cag's?[/quote]

There is only one definitive thing to come out of this, and that is Wombat will not be finding his dream job at Loltaku.

Kotaku is a gossip website, a tabloid, it's not an accurate and reliable source of news. Crecente needs to lay off the kool-aid, and realize that the site he writes for is the National Enquirer of video games.

This is hilarious, man.

I like how Gerstmann put it; "...take it as pretty firm evidence that the battle between speed and accuracy continues to rage on inside us all."

Congrats to the dude that set all of this up. I can't wait to hear about this on the next CAGcast!

First and foremost, this whole event is hilarious, and quite a good example of how breaking news has more value to blogs than fact-checking.

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']This event definitely has lowered my respect for Kotaku.[/quote]

Unfortunately, I agree. My respect for Kotaku has lowered considerably.

Yeah, my respect has been lowered as well. Just man up and say you got tricked. Don't go into a hissy fit about the credibility of blogs. I'm fine with blogs posting rumors as long as they are labeled as such, but when you find out that rumor was a hoax, just correct it and move on. He and Dennis Dyack have a blown out of proportion view of how much of an impact stupid stuff like this has on 'the industry'.

The only one that lost any respect and credibility here is CAG. I almost ashamed to call myself a member of this site now.

[quote name='dcfox']The only one that lost any respect and credibility here is CAG. I almost ashamed to call myself a member of this site now.[/QUOTE]

Nice try.

crecentesadface.jpg

[quote name='bingbangboom']At least sites like IGN, 1UP and others have some sort of respectability when it comes to their news.[/quote]

Not sure about 1UP, but IGN has been caught doing this same type of thing. Ever hear of the Metal Gear Solid Triology debacle? :)

On topic, I know rumors get hits, but I will never post them anymore. They're too much trouble for than what they're worth. It seems the bigger sites like stories to get hits etc. which I can understand because they want ad revenue I guess. Not saying I think this behavior is acceptable, but I can see why some sites thrive on it.

[quote name='Short Round']There is only one definitive thing to come out of this, and that is Wombat will not be finding his dream job at Loltaku.[/quote]

or any other gaming blog not named UGO.

If I were to place a bet on who the dick was Cheapy asked his source about I'd say it was Jeff Gertsmann...

'Winky'-tagged tip duly noted.

Guys, it wasn't Jeff Gerstmann or Brian Crecente. It was Stephen Totillo from MTV's Multiplayer blog that was a little cold to Cheapy at E3. He apologized and may be Cheapy's only hope of this year's TGS not being the loneliest TGS ever.

[quote name='Moxio']CAG may have lost credibility, but the OTT has more than ever. :cool:[/quote]

CAG lost credibility after getting in bed with GameQuestDirect after shunning them due to their business practices in the past.

[quote name='jollydwarf']If I were to place a bet on who the dick was Cheapy asked his source about I'd say it was Jeff Gertsmann...

'Winky'-tagged tip duly noted.[/quote]

I have no secret info to back up the claim I made, but when I was listening to the old GameSpot podcasts before he was canned, he struck me like he could have "dick" qualities to him. Well, at least beyond(BEYOND!!!) what his gender gives him, of course.

[quote name='DQT']Guys, it wasn't Jeff Gerstmann or Brian Crecente. It was Stephen Totillo from MTV's Multiplayer blog that was a little cold to Cheapy at E3. He apologized and may be Cheapy's only hope of this year's TGS not being the loneliest TGS ever.[/quote]

Wasn't that something completely different?

Wasn't that something completely different?

It was. The unnamed "dick" reference was completely unattached to the Totillo 'misunderstanding'. I think it was mentioned after said brush-off, too.

Ah well, we'll never know. Maybe it was Cheapy validating his twenty-five year theory about David Crane. (Shrugs)

[quote name='BlueSwim']I have no secret info to back up the claim I made, but when I was listening to the old GameSpot podcasts before he was canned, he struck me like he could have "dick" qualities to him. Well, at least beyond(BEYOND!!!) what his gender gives him, of course.[/QUOTE]

Thats interesting..because Gerstmann always seemed like one of the coolest people in gaming jerno. to me.

My guess on the "dick" is N'Gai Croal. I can see that guy being a total tool from the times I have heard him on 1Up Yours.

EDIT: But like Jolly, my first guess was Crecente.

This is awesome! This is absolutely hilarious. Kotaku go boom and lost its credibility. They showed their true colors. Wow, Kotaku's really trying to bring credibility to gaming journalism when they themselves can't be credible. Speed and accuracy, indeed, two forces at work against each other. :rofl: Great job CAG!!!!

[quote name='jollydwarf']Wasn't that something completely different?

It was. The unnamed "dick" reference was completely unattached to the Totillo 'misunderstanding'. I think it was mentioned after said brush-off, too.

Ah well, we'll never know. Maybe it was Cheapy validating his twenty-five year theory about David Crane. (Shrugs)[/quote]

Now that I think about it you guys are probably right. Still, do we really need Cheapy to alienate even more people at this point?

i liked that kotaku didn't elaborate on what the contest was. kotaku, and the other blogs, need to recognize the point of the contest. recognize what fools they are. and quit posting every rumor they see on a blog.

I bet if we could got all the people that come to CAG and all of the people that go to Kotaku, and made them fight, we would win. Take that Crecente!

Has Crecente ever admitted he was wrong? I swear that dude has the biggest head in the gaming blogosphere. Mark Wilson at Gizmodo needs to get his shit together too going on about "credibility." Maybe it's just something they're feeding the Gawker pool, I don't know.

Meh, Kotaku's a great site - but not always for information. It's entertainment after all. Not TheINQ level of entertainment, but it's a site about games! Why so serious?

I never considered Kotaku as news website, but as video game entertainment website. If your getting your source of information from blogs or message boards, you already lose your credibility as news website. Because anyone on internet can create an account and post any falsified information. It's not hard to photoshop some pictures. If it comes from a person that develop some sort of credibility like Speedy or Markman, I can understand. But this isn't the case.

The real question is: How Kotaku handle the situation? Rather than bowing down gracefully and admit their mistakes, Brian Crecente drag CAG in the mix. Blaming his mistakes towards others. This just adds more fuel to the fire. He shouldn't responded at all and close the thread down. Just let the fire burn itself down and controversy will die down. If he continues to replay back, this will be next Dennis Dyack 2.0.

The only time CAG is an official news source to a blog is when the blog is ripping off CAG's deal news and not giving them credit for it.

I just can't believe that they would blame someone for being unreliable. Look at all the news stories this week and tell me what percent of the stories are made up rumors. I'd estimae about 30-40% which is huge for a site that only posts about a page or two of stories a day. I hope they learned their lesson. I actually think that this was a great project that test the credibility of gaming blogs. It worked, Cheapy and Wombat were correct.

Just a heads up, not only will we be discussing this in depth on Monday's CAGcast, but I've also written up an article (which will also be posted on Monday) about how I feel about the situation.

[quote name='CheapyD']Just a heads up, not only will we be discussing this in depth on Monday's CAGcast, but I've also written up an article (which will also be posted on Monday) about how I feel about the situation.[/quote]

Awesome, I can't wait.

[quote name='CheapyD']Just a heads up, not only will we be discussing this in depth on Monday's CAGcast, but I've also written up an article (which will also be posted on Monday) about how I feel about the situation.[/quote]

:applause: This will be fun.

Just read the first page of the comments over at Kotaku. Man, that Brian guy is a major league asshole, huh? He must be a VERY IMPORTANT PERSON.

He's not a journalist, because that would mean he would check his sources and not post spurious rumors. He can't be responsible for posting rumors because that would take too much time (his own words). He gets taken for a ride and then gets all butt hurt, like it's anyone's fault but his that he posts spurious rumors.

First. Class. Ass.

Later Kotaku, not gonna miss your feed nearly enough. Hell, I even saw the story on the feed and was wondering how such absurd tripe ended up posted. Now I know.

I will be eagerly waiting for tomorrow's article and CAGcast. I enjoy listening to the CAGcasts, but this one will be particularly enjoyable. I just can't get over the fact that Crecente wants to be considered a 'real" journalist withouth doing any proper vetting of his source(s) or of rumors. A brand new user of CAG with very few posts to his name would sound some alarms in my head, just from the experience I have with the internet and message boards/forums. Still, I hope that I have a bit of credibility on CAG, I have posted some deals here and there and been in the discussion for a time, but school is now taking too much of my time to really be on CAG as much as I would like.

I can't wait for tomorrow, I hope that Crecente will then give a proper update or link to the CAGcast for a real source and article. My anticipation for the CAGcast is going to be akin to my anticipation for the Heroes season premiere. :lol:

[quote name='XTommyDonX']The only time CAG is an official news source to a blog is when the blog is ripping off CAG's deal news and not giving them credit for it.

I just can't believe that they would blame someone for being unreliable. Look at all the news stories this week and tell me what percent of the stories are made up rumors. I'd estimae about 30-40% which is huge for a site that only posts about a page or two of stories a day. I hope they learned their lesson. I actually think that this was a great project that test the credibility of gaming blogs. It worked, Cheapy and Wombat were correct.[/quote]

Very well said and all true, especially the ripping off CAG's deals part without credit.

bread's done
Back