Ninja Murasaki's Anime Thread

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Wondering if you guys had any recommendations for me. I like dark, depressing stuff. Though do enjoy a good love story too. I'm definitely looking more for a drama type show. I don't like comedies and I hate stuff like Naruto. It's been hard for me to find anime I'd like lately.

Also it has to be something I can buy. I don't download anime.[/quote]

Since you mentioned love story, I recommend Maison Ikkoku. I have the first season on DVD and I am going to order the second from Rightstuf tonight. They are having a sale and Maison Ikkoko sets are part of it.

If someone knows where I can "legally" find full seasons of Case Closed and Lupin the 3rd in English, I will love you long time.

[quote name='naes']If someone knows where I can "legally" find full seasons of Case Closed and Lupin the 3rd in English, I will love you long time.[/quote]

I'm not sure that season sets exist for either. It may just be volumes.

I'm sure that there are torrents for them somewhere. I've checked a few sites to no avail. Ah well, I got Dragon Ball.
[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'm not sure that season sets exist for either. It may just be volumes.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='naes']I'm sure that there are torrents for them somewhere. I've checked a few sites to no avail. Ah well, I got Dragon Ball.[/quote]

Rightsuf doesn't have anything listed for either Lupin or Case Closed. I could have sworn there was a Season one release for Case Closed during their Christmas sale though.

My 2 favorite anime shows happen to be some of the least popular... :wall:

Well, am I the only one who thinks that Dragon Ball is better than Dragon Ball Z (yes, I realize that in Japan it's only Dragon Ball)?
[quote name='GuilewasNK']Rightsuf doesn't have anything listed for either Lupin or Case Closed. I could have sworn there was a Season one release for Case Closed during their Christmas sale though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='naes']My 2 favorite anime shows happen to be some of the least popular... :wall:

Well, am I the only one who thinks that Dragon Ball is better than Dragon Ball Z (yes, I realize that in Japan it's only Dragon Ball)?[/quote]

I was hardcore in DBZ when I was younger. I agree that Dragon Ball tends to hold up better than Dragonball Z, if only for the fact that there's a measure of humor to the show that's nonexistent in Z.

As for Case Closed, I believe the majority of anime is viewed in it's original Japanese so I doubt you'll have an easy time finding it in english, unless someone ripped OGM or MKV formats of the show.

Thank you. It feels great knowing that my signature can turn anyone on at any given time.
[quote name='Moxio']^ Nice signature.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='naes']If someone knows where I can "legally" find full seasons of Case Closed and Lupin the 3rd in English, I will love you long time.[/quote]Ditto that.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I'm not sure that season sets exist for either. It may just be volumes.[/quote]I recall a funimation buddy sending an email either late 2005 or early 2006 stating that season sets of Detective Conan would be shortly released. So far... nada. Either it was canned or my contact needs to be whacked upside the head.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']As for Case Closed, I believe the majority of anime is viewed in it's original Japanese so I doubt you'll have an easy time finding it in english, unless someone ripped OGM or MKV formats of the show.[/quote]This is why I wub fan-subs. Other people learn the language so I don't have to.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Since you mentioned love story, I recommend Maison Ikkoku. I have the first season on DVD and I am going to order the second from Rightstuf tonight. They are having a sale and Maison Ikkoko sets are part of it.[/quote]

Wow.

Like a complete idiot I fell asleep and forgot to order it. :cry:

I guess I'll have to wait a while now.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Wondering if you guys had any recommendations for me. I like dark, depressing stuff. Though do enjoy a good love story too. I'm definitely looking more for a drama type show. I don't like comedies and I hate stuff like Naruto. It's been hard for me to find anime I'd like lately.

Also it has to be something I can buy. I don't download anime.[/QUOTE]

You want dark and depressing? Texhnolyze. Dunno if Rightstuf still has it on sale (managed to get all 6 volumes for $4 each during that one sale), but yeah... definitely dark, definitely depressing.

[quote name='LiquidNight']Berserk 280 is finally out![/QUOTE]

I hate not knowing Japanese... I'm stuck with the English releases in the US and I know we're nowhere near Berserk 280. This story just keeps going and going, and Miura has yet to slip up.

[quote name='Chacrana']I hate not knowing Japanese... I'm stuck with the English releases in the US and I know we're nowhere near Berserk 280. This story just keeps going and going, and Miura has yet to slip up.[/QUOTE]He's going to die before he finishes it, though.

Also it has to be something I can buy. I don't download anime.[/quote]

Grave of the Fireflies - 1 OVA, Probably the first recommendation you'll get from any anime fan as far as depressing anime go.

Gungrave - 26 eps, On the outside it looks like your typical actiony gun-slinger anime. This anime is one of my favorites. Its the perfect combination of action and drama. Dont mean to sound like a wuss, but I got choked up watching this series almost as many times as I did in Saikano.

Saikano - 13 eps, pretty depressing drama, this show took away my ability to "guess what happens" in an anime.

Kimi Ga Nozumu Ein (aka Rumbling Hearts) - 13 eps, another depressing drama, the random comedy aspects throw it off sometimes, but its definately worth a watch. (Only Volume 1 is available in Region 1 right now)

Hope this helps!

[quote name='Chacrana']I hate not knowing Japanese... I'm stuck with the English releases in the US and I know we're nowhere near Berserk 280. This story just keeps going and going, and Miura has yet to slip up.[/QUOTE]

you do know people translate Berserk to english and release it completely scanalated

Saikano - 13 eps, pretty depressing drama, this show took away my ability to "guess what happens" in an anime.
My second favorite show. I love Saikano. It was wonderfully depressing. So much so that I didn't feel like doing a thing for about 2 days after finishing it. I just felt like crap. Great show.

I didn't like Kimi ga Nozomo Eien. The main reason being Mitsuki was one of the most vile characters I've ever seen. That drunken whore...

I think I'll check out Gungrave. Since you like Saikano I'll trust you.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']you do know people translate Berserk to english and release it completely scanalated[/QUOTE]

I know. I try to support the official release, but at the rate it's going right now, I might look into the fan translations...

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']My second favorite show. I love Saikano. It was wonderfully depressing. So much so that I didn't feel like doing a thing for about 2 days after finishing it. I just felt like crap. Great show.

I didn't like Kimi ga Nozomo Eien. The main reason being Mitsuki was one of the most vile characters I've ever seen. That drunken whore...

I think I'll check out Gungrave. Since you like Saikano I'll trust you.[/QUOTE]

I'd second Gungrave. A personal favorite of mine... the first episode might throw you off, so if you don't like it, don't worry.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'd second Gungrave. A personal favorite of mine... the first episode might throw you off, so if you don't like it, don't worry.[/quote]

Yea, meant to mention that. The first episode is just a setup to the flashback that is most of the series. It might leave you completely confused at first, but all will be explained.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Shikamaru is such a badass.[/quote]
But he's a lazy piece of crap. I can't wait for my Freeloader to get here so I can play some Naruto 4 again.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']But he's a lazy piece of crap. I can't wait for my Freeloader to get here so I can play some Naruto 4 again.[/QUOTE] That just makes him more of a badass. ;)

EDIT: Completely forgot to ask you if you'd read 338 yet, when you said that. :lol:

Ah, yes. Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX is going to be released fairly soon. I wonder when we'll see a freeloader for the Wii. Or if that would even work, given the inevitable system updates.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']That just makes him more of a badass. ;)

Ah, yes. Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX is going to be released fairly soon. I wonder when we'll see a freeloader for the Wii. Or if that would even work, given the inevitable system updates.[/quote]
Datel's already working on a Wii Freeloader, but there's no possible release date for it yet. I'll be selling off some stuff on eBay to get some paypal to cover the cost.

I watched the first eipsode of Rurouni Kenshin from my DVD set last night. Very cool. I have only seen bits and poeces of the show when Cartoon Network aired it.

[quote name='Shinkuu Ryao']New One Piece chapter.

Wow, not even 5 chapters and they've already got ANOTHER friend >_>
[/QUOTE]It's probably a Vivi type, though.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I watched the first eipsode of Rurouni Kenshin from my DVD set last night. Very cool. I have only seen bits and poeces of the show when Cartoon Network aired it.[/quote]I definately enjoyed Kenshin (samurai X), but it's hard to find the season sets at reasonable prices. =\

[quote name='guinaevere']I definately enjoyed Kenshin (samurai X), but it's hard to find the season sets at reasonable prices. =\[/QUOTE]Just pick the manga up. It's entirely awesome vs. maybe 50% of the anime being so.

I'm watching Samurai Champloo (from the amazing Walmart.com misprice) and just got FLCL in the mail (from the Buy.com deal) and am really enjoying both.

[quote name='guinaevere']I definately enjoyed Kenshin (samurai X), but it's hard to find the season sets at reasonable prices. =\[/quote]

I got my economy box for $43 (I think) from Wal-Mart. Best Buy had Season 3 for $25 or so.

I think if you just picked up the second box set for Kenshin you'd totally be set. Sure, the first season isn't bad, but it's NOTHING compared to the pure awesome that is the Kyoto arc. Shishio might be one of the coolest villains ever and his fight against Kenshin is still one of my favorite fights in an anime.

[quote name='karsh']I think if you just picked up the second box set for Kenshin you'd totally be set. Sure, the first season isn't bad, but it's NOTHING compared to the pure awesome that is the Kyoto arc. Shishio might be one of the coolest villains ever and his fight against Kenshin is still one of my favorite fights in an anime.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Shishio is one cool boy.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I got my economy box for $43 (I think) from Wal-Mart. Best Buy had Season 3 for $25 or so.[/quote]I keep forgetting to order from BB. The eco box... what episodes are in there?

[quote name='guinaevere']I keep forgetting to order from BB. The eco box... what episodes are in there?[/QUOTE]

Unless I'm mistaken, the breakdown for the economy boxes is:

Box 1: Episodes 1-27
Box 2: Episodes 28-62
Box 3: Episodes 63-95

[quote name='jmcc']It's probably a Vivi type, though.[/QUOTE]

God I hope not. Unlike Vivi, Brook actually seems cool and doesn't get on my nerves.

I find Brook kinda annoying, but not nearly as annoying as Usopp. Personally, I think the crew is getting a bit inflated.
Am I the only one who wants Usopp to die? He is an absolutely useless, annoying, dumb motherfucker.

Anyone else read the new Naruto yet? His new technique spits hot fire.

Damn. Just got to the new intro on episode 116 of One Piece and I see a huge spoiler right away with
Nice Robin
who will apparently join the crew during this Crocodile arc. :roll:

[quote name='LiquidNight']Anyone else read the new Naruto yet? His new technique spits hot fire.[/QUOTE] Yeah. And, once again, Shikamaru is such a badass. :cool:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Yeah. And, once again, Shikamaru is such a badass. :cool:[/QUOTE]

yeah, but i dont think we have seen the last of mr. blown away

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']yeah, but i dont think we have seen the last of mr. blown away[/QUOTE] If we see him again, I'd want it to be
someone coming for the ring, and just leaving him down there.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']If we see him again, I'd want it to be
someone coming for the ring, and just leaving him down there.
[/QUOTE]

hahahaha that would be pretty funny, but I have a feeling that the green people eater wont let 2 akatsuki members die

[quote name='Shinkuu Ryao']God I hope not. Unlike Vivi, Brook actually seems cool and doesn't get on my nerves.[/QUOTE]He even makes taking dumps seem cool.[quote name='LiquidNight']I find Brook kinda annoying, but not nearly as annoying as Usopp. Personally, I think the crew is getting a bit inflated.
Am I the only one who wants Usopp to die? He is an absolutely useless, annoying, dumb motherfucker.[/QUOTE]Did you skip over Enis Lobby or something? Usopp was instrumental. When him and Van Auger finally match up, it's going to be awesome. Bullets getting shot down with other bullets and whatnot.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Damn. Just got to the new intro on episode 116 of One Piece and I see a huge spoiler right away with
Nice Robin
who will apparently join the crew during this Crocodile arc. :roll:[/QUOTE]

It's been 5 years and she's had a major arc focused around her, I doubt anyone cares anymore >_>

[quote name='Shinkuu Ryao']It's been 5 years and she's had a major arc focused around her, I doubt anyone cares anymore >_>[/quote]
Pardon me for not getting enthralled with One Piece right away and running into a spoiler unexpectedly. Instead of watching and wondering how the Luffy/Croc fight will end, now I'm wondering where she turns on him, which I guess I've pretty much seen with the Poneglyph scene.

Read your manga, you nagging grasshopper. ;)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Pardon me for not getting enthralled with One Piece right away and running into a spoiler unexpectedly. Instead of watching and wondering how the Luffy/Croc fight will end, now I'm wondering where she turns on him, which I guess I've pretty much seen with the Poneglyph scene.

Read your manga, you nagging grasshopper. ;)[/QUOTE]Well, the best of that arc is yet to come. Such a great use of a symphonic piece...

Edit: on watching it again just now, I think 126 is my favorite episode of the series so far.

I had forgotten how purely awesome a character
Shinigami Isshin
was in Bleach. Just finished 111. I still think that may be one of my favorite scenes at the end with
him and Grand Fisher Arrancar

bread's done
Back