Reduced Price Game Guides: Thread Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might go to find the cheap digital audio cables, so if I find anything, I'll post later. Don't know if I'll bother w/o confirmed penny guides though...

I'm at work until 5:30, and I'll keep checking for an update, but I don't see it happening if it already hasn't. I just don't understand, the pattern has been consistent for like 4 months straight.

No problem Vahn. Thanks for your hard work. I remember a couple of times last year they dropped the guides down to a penny midweek (like Wednesday/Thursday). Of course, we didnt have anyone on the inside at the time, so it might have been that we just missed it the day it happened.

[quote name='vahn401']I'm at work until 5:30, and I'll keep checking for an update, but I don't see it happening if it already hasn't. I just don't understand, the pattern has been consistent for like 4 months straight.[/quote]

It's a good possibility that since last month's list was so big there just won't be one this month. It's happened before after other months with long lists.

I can confirm no drops so far also...tried Lego Star Wars II, Need for Speed Carbon, Mortal Kombat, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros., etc. All regular price

[quote name='caedeskhan']I can confirm no drops so far also...tried Lego Star Wars II, Need for Speed Carbon, Mortal Kombat, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros., etc. All regular price[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but vahn works at Best Buy, so confirmation isn't really necessary. Besides, all of the guides you listed except for LSW II are on the website at normal price.

BTW, thanks vahn for the update. You save me a wasted trip this morning...sorry I didn't thank you earlier....

I went out to BB any ways to pick up Escaflowne box set with a gift card. I did check the Gears of War LE, which wasn't on the site, but it was still full price.

I would like Vahn for being able to get us this inside info.

[quote name='62t']there is also the chance that BB could drop guides later in the week, which had happened in the past[/quote]
They've done that before, yes. Sometimes on Tuesday or Wednesday of the first week of the month.

Maybe. But as I was thinking, after last month's huge (and bountifull) drop, it just didn't seem like there was a ton of guides left to drop this month. Skipping a month wouldn't surprise me.

ah but best buy hasnt skip a month in years. They always find something to pennied, even if it is just 3-4 guides. It is also possible the drop is on some PC guides.

well hopefully it doesn't happen tomorow, cause i'm not working, wednesday I am though, i'll let the other guy I work with to let me know if anything happens though.

[quote name='caedeskhan']I can confirm no drops so far also...tried Lego Star Wars II, Need for Speed Carbon, Mortal Kombat, Animal Crossing, New Super Mario Bros., etc. All regular price[/QUOTE]

Thanks for checking. I know vahn works there and his posts are appreciated but a second for anything is always welcome.

its the 7th's 43's and 145653rd's that are a bit much...

Wow the second page. Didn't think I'd find ya hear poor thread.

Found Chromhounds, Pirates of the Carribean (Dead man's chest) and Reservoir Dogs at Gamestop today pennied. Also the latest (whatever)Might and Magic was down to a penny.

Several dropped to 9.99: Red Steel and I forget the rest.

[quote name='Ziv']Wow the second page. Didn't think I'd find ya hear poor thread.

Found Chromhounds, Pirates of the Carribean (Dead man's chest) and Reservoir Dogs at Gamestop today pennied. Also the latest (whatever)Might and Magic was down to a penny.

Several dropped to 9.99: Red Steel and I forget the rest.[/quote]

Was that it, or are there potentially more?

Woah hold the phone... a new drop at EB/GS and no one's on it yet? Crap, I'd go check it out myself but I'm not going to be able to make it out until tomorrow afternoon. I wish my stores were open later on weekdays. Somebody's got to get some more info on this.

Son of a bleep and I was just IN my local EB flaunting my complete copy of Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance II(Xbox) which I just bought from the local Wegman's grocery stores video section for $16.85.

They had the guides for Reservoir Dogs, Pirates and a couple of the M&M ones. I doubt they'll have them there by tomorrow afternoon when I get back from out of town, going to an auto auction about 2 hours away for the day.

They give ya whopping eleven dinero for DA II btw @ GS. What a deal.

[quote name='avatar94']Woah hold the phone... a new drop at EB/GS and no one's on it yet? [/QUOTE]

I stopped by a local store earlier and asked the one kid there about it (I tried this one because after the last round of drops, he was bragging about getting some of the guides for himself, so he's obviously familiar with the policy) but he claimed he hadn't heard anything about it. Pardon me whilst I swallow this grain of salt.

I'll try to do some more digging around, and if I find anything new before anyone else has posted it here, I'll pass it along.

[quote name='Ziv']Wow the second page. Didn't think I'd find ya hear poor thread.

Several dropped to 9.99: Red Steel and I forget the rest.[/quote]

Thx OP, I snagged 1 copy of Reservoir Dogs and POTC:DMC for myself and 1 extra of each for trade.

I also checked a ton of other guides like Naruto: Uzumaki, Okami, VP: Silmeria, Phantasy Star Universe, Kingdom Hearts, Justice League Heroes, RE4 (PS2), Disgaea 2, and a few others. All of these came up regular price.

Darn it! All they had was Reservoir Dogs, which when I handed it to the manager to buy, he said, "Oh, you heard about the penny drops. I can't sell this to you." Would have tried the girl working there but she was brand new (filling in work info on the computer in fact), so I knew a penny ringup would make her get the manager; I know I would. But when asked where I get my info, I simply replied "the internets". Oh well, I have no use for a reservoir dogs guide :p

That's why I haven't bothered going out for these guides. At least at BB when I find guides that are pennied still on the floor 9/10 times they'll sell them. With EBGS it usually isn't going to happen.

Best Buy has become hit or miss for me locally too, then again, the one local store has a total hardass female media manager who works days and yanks them(even yanked the multiples I had 2-3 drops ago from my hand when I was carrying about 3 of one guide).

And, after the Prima sale back in January(I think), I think I'm kinda marked, but it also doesn't help that someone (possibly another CAG) hits the other store near me and hoards them all from there.

As for the ones that dropped from GS, I may try and grab 1 of each when the guys who don't give a crap are working at the local EB.

Stumbled upon a Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door guide at a EBgames today. He gave me the "technically, I'm not supposed to sell you pennied guides. But there is a sort of way around that. If you put $5 down and reserve any game I will let you have it."

I wanted to punch him in his chubby stupid face. If he just said no I can't sell this I wouldn't have minded so much. But he hounded me for about a minute or so to just reserve a game and that it was still a good deal.

Eff that. He'd probably just pocket that $5 anyway. I finally just had to walk out, he wouldn't shut up.

[quote name='dalaamprince']Stumbled upon a Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door guide at a EBgames today. He gave me the "technically, I'm not supposed to sell you pennied guides. But there is a sort of way around that. If you put $5 down and reserve any game I will let you have it."

I wanted to punch him in his chubby stupid face. If he just said no I can't sell this I wouldn't have minded so much. But he hounded me for about a minute or so to just reserve a game and that it was still a good deal.

Eff that. He'd probably just pocket that $5 anyway. I finally just had to walk out, he wouldn't shut up.[/QUOTE]
he can't do that as you will have a receipt of your preorder. You can always cancel your preorder later.

Wel I had an interesting find today.

I was at Fry's browsing around and I saw the guide section. They actually sell really old guides (Pokemon TCG, Eternal Darkness, Everquest, etc) for really low prices. I picked up Eternal Darkness for $.90 and a "totally unauthorized" guide to Metal Gear Solid for $.01

Cashier looked at me odd but he sold it to me. their prices aren't bad at all for old guides.

yea some really really old guides are .90 at Frys like Zone of Ender. Sadly a lot of their old guide are still at a high price. I think Mario Party 4 is still $9

[quote name='Ziv']
Found [highlight]Chromhounds[/highlight], Pirates of the Carribean (Dead man's chest) and Reservoir Dogs at Gamestop today pennied. Also the latest (whatever)Might and Magic was down to a penny.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks a ton Ziv - I saw this post just before I headed out to Gamestop to buy Far Cry and Open Season for the Wii. I took a quick glance through the guides and found a Chromehounds. I have never tried to get penny guides from Gamestop because I figured it would be an enormous hassle. I just asked him to check it for me because I heard it was "on sale" ;). He hesitated for a moment, and then said they really aren't supposed to sell them so he wasn't sure what to do. Then he said, "oh well, a penny I guess". Score! He could have done what has happened to others and overrode that for the $16.99 it said on the front, so I was happy.

My excitement was tempered somewhat when I got home and realized part of the back cover was ripped off and it had water damage on the top. That's what they get for having a guide rack right below the registers I guess. That thing would have never sold for the tagged $16.99 :rofl:.

But it's OK, I am actually planning to use this one when I get a 360 and play my $15 copy of Chromehounds (Best Buy after coupon).

musicnoteless - I have noticed the older guides at Fry's but I figured they were all full price. I'll have to check them out more carefully next time I'm there.

Thankfully, I already picked up Chromehounds when my local CompUSA cleared out a whole bunch of guides at $0.98. Not likely to pick up Resevoir Dogs or PoTC: DMC, so I think I can pass on trying to find them. Woot.

The problem with selling bundles of guides like that is two-fold. (1) Most of the people that would consider buying a bundle like that are the people that collect guides (ie- the majority of people in this thread). And since most of the people in this thread would probably just try and trade for those guides, I don't forsee too many of them looking for the bundle to buy. (2) Those people who DON'T collect guides, but simply use them for playing, probably aren't going to use half of the guides listed in that bundle. Granted, it makes them think they can just resell the half they aren't going to use (haha... good luck with that). But for the ones smart enough to realize they can't resell them, they're probably not going to buy the bundle either. Just my 2 cents. I've found the easiest way to get rid of them is to just do a sort of "fire sale" on CAG where you just list the ones you wan tto get rid of and say pick any 4 for $10 shipped or something like that.

Yeah the problem with the 4 for $10 is after bubble mailers and shipping your making $2-3 a pop on sales. I might go ahead and do that again but i've basically done that on gametz for a while now and these havent sold.

There is nothing bad about throwing guides away or giving them away for free. Most people got the idea it is bad to throw them away but really many are not worth the trouble of selling and getting a few cent in return.

I'd be interested in a few of the guides in your bundle (Brian9824), if you were willing to be cut a deal for a fellow CAG.

I've had success trading guides here, but I never really saw selling the guides as worth the effort. I had a ton of guides that I just gave to friends.

-Venent

[quote name='erehwon']If you have to get rid of them, I'd suggest giving them away to any local CAGs, Freecycle them, or see if your local library would be interested in them.[/QUOTE]

2nd'd

some areas have much better freecycle programs than others but it can be a pretty nice 2 way street.

I already did offer up many guides for CAG before they are throw at the recycle bin. There really is no demand for stuff like old Tony Hawk or sport guide.

I'll third the support for Freecycle.

I hate to throw things away, thinking that almost everything has a value to somebody.

I pick up these penny guides often, but find that I rarely use them. When I make the time, I'll try to get rid of them in bulk here, then ebay, then freecycle.

alright i am going to give Freecycle a try. But if no one will take them on craigslist, I doubt I will have better results.

Those guides in bundle are already gone. I'll post a list friday of everything I have left to see what people are intrested in.

[quote name='Brian9824']Yeah the problem with the 4 for $10 is after bubble mailers and shipping your making $2-3 a pop on sales. I might go ahead and do that again but i've basically done that on gametz for a while now and these havent sold.[/QUOTE]

Same.

The other problem is that it seems EVERYONE has the most recent guides, so those are impossible to trade off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back