World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Discussion Thread

[quote name='georox']:/ You so didn't get an invite from me, so you won't be getting help from me. [/QUOTE]

I expect no less from a typical WoW player

If any one from the EU wants to pm me a resurrection scroll I'd greatly appreciate it, been thinking about getting back into the game for a while and I've finally given in. Damn you Cataclysm!

[quote name='Khondor']I expect no less from a typical WoW player[/QUOTE]

In my defense, I've probably only been logged in to the game for a total of four hours over the last three months.

I bought a 60 day card today and well I am now going back to this game. I could not resist because this is the best MMO I ever played.

Anyway the install for this game is fucking brutal if you are doing it fresh. 10 disc install (I don't know if newer versions of WoW use DVD's but my original and BC both used CD's). Now I am just starting to download patch 3.01-3.20 and on a 125 kb/sec max speed download, I am going to be here awhile :lol:

Can't wait to go back though, whenever it does finish.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Anyway the install for this game is fucking brutal if you are doing it fresh. 10 disc install (I don't know if newer versions of WoW use DVD's but my original and BC both used CD's). Now I am just starting to download patch 3.01-3.20 and on a 125 kb/sec max speed download, I am going to be here awhile :lol:[/QUOTE]

I bought the Battle Chest a few weeks ago and they both came on DVDs, but I still had a ton of patches to download when I finally got through the install.

[quote name='AK85']I bought the Battle Chest a few weeks ago and they both came on DVDs, but I still had a ton of patches to download when I finally got through the install.[/QUOTE]

My WoW had DVDs, but it took forever to install and the I can't remember how big the patches were, but it was something like several GBs. I hadn't played in a bit, donated my account to some family, so I started it up again and it took awhile to DL patches.

By the way, any CAGs play on Bronzebeard?

I got a cataclysm beta invite and my account has been inactive for a long time. I used a free trial about a month ago, but other then that I haven't played in 1 year+. My account in inactive, but I can still log into the beta.

Hmm. Is blizz trying to draw me back in?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']
Anyway the install for this game is fucking brutal if you are doing it fresh. 10 disc install (I don't know if newer versions of WoW use DVD's but my original and BC both used CD's). Now I am just starting to download patch 3.01-3.20 and on a 125 kb/sec max speed download, I am going to be here awhile :lol:
QUOTE]

Another total greenhorn here and I just installed the "first" edition I guess you might call it, between the CD and patch downloading it was an over 15 hour install. But made it thru just in time for last weeks Maintence down time. LOL but we good now I guess

[quote name='Gamehead']I got a cataclysm beta invite and my account has been inactive for a long time. I used a free trial about a month ago, but other then that I haven't played in 1 year+. My account in inactive, but I can still log into the beta.

Hmm. Is blizz trying to draw me back in?[/QUOTE]

I hate you.

I'm actually not minding not getting into the Cata beta. Got into the WotLK beta, and I never got into it all that much. I couldn't get past putting so much time into characters that weren't balanced properly yet and would go *poof* once the beta was over. It's not like I won't be going through the content anyway when it actually releases.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']My WoW had DVDs, but it took forever to install and the I can't remember how big the patches were, but it was something like several GBs. I hadn't played in a bit, donated my account to some family, so I started it up again and it took awhile to DL patches.

By the way, any CAGs play on Bronzebeard?[/QUOTE]

I used to, but I quit back in January. Might go back for Cataclysm, though if I do, I'm more likely to just reroll somewhere else. Poor boyfriend is trying to come up with new ways to keep from losing me again.

World of Warcraft(R): Cataclysm(TM) in Stores Starting December 7

IRVINE, Calif., Oct 04, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) — Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that World of Warcraft(R): Cataclysm(TM), the highly anticipated third expansion for the world's most popular subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game*, will be released starting on December 7, 2010. The expansion will be available on DVD-ROM for Windows(R) XP/Windows Vista(R)/Windows(R) 7 and Macintosh(R) at a suggested retail price of $39.99 and will also be offered as a digital download from the Blizzard Store. A special Collector's Edition packed with bonus items will be available exclusively in retail stores for a suggested retail price of $79.99.

"Cataclysm includes the best content we've ever created for World of Warcraft. It's not just an expansion, but a re-creation of much of the original Azeroth, complete with epic new high-level adventures for current players and a redesigned leveling experience for those just starting out," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "With the help of our beta testers, we're putting on the final polish, and we look forward to welcoming gamers around the world to enjoy it in just a couple of months."

The first two World of Warcraft expansions, The Burning Crusade(R) and Wrath of the Lich King(R), each shattered PC game sales records upon their release.* In Cataclysm, the face of Azeroth will be forever altered by the return of the corrupted Dragon Aspect Deathwing. Players will explore once-familiar areas of the world that have now been reshaped by the devastation and filled with new adventures. In an effort to survive the planet-shattering cataclysm, two new playable races — worgen and goblins — will join the struggle between the Alliance and the Horde. As players journey to the new level cap of 85, they'll discover newly revealed locations, acquire new levels of power, and come face to face with Deathwing in a battle to determine the fate of the world.

The beta test for World of Warcraft: Cataclysm is currently underway. Visit the official Battle.net(R) website at http://www.battle.net to set up a Battle.net account and sign up for a chance to participate. To learn more about World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, visit http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/cataclysm.

Looks like I'm taking off work on the 7th.

[quote name='tcrash247']Looks like I'm taking off work on the 7th the month of December.[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for me. Well, not really, but due to how work handles holidaysl, I can usually use 3 days of PTO and get the entire last two weeks off.

I was hoping somewhat that Cataclysm would bring me back, but after playing beta some of the things I hoped they would address more they didn't. I didn't get very high in crafting to see all the changes, but leveling crafting still feels like a chore that isn't rewarding or profitable.

The revamped areas don't feel that different to me and it has been a long time since I played. While the quests feel slightly different, it feels more cosmetic like only the name of the mob changed and the graphic.

I don't know I may throw it on my xmas list if there is a decent deal on it since I don't own LK to give it a try once it goes live. I just don't find myself itching to play the beta even.

[quote name='brennok']I was hoping somewhat that Cataclysm would bring me back, but after playing beta some of the things I hoped they would address more they didn't. I didn't get very high in crafting to see all the changes, but leveling crafting still feels like a chore that isn't rewarding or profitable.

The revamped areas don't feel that different to me and it has been a long time since I played. While the quests feel slightly different, it feels more cosmetic like only the name of the mob changed and the graphic.

I don't know I may throw it on my xmas list if there is a decent deal on it since I don't own LK to give it a try once it goes live. I just don't find myself itching to play the beta even.[/QUOTE]

Even though I have only played a little of the beta, I feel like when cataclysm comes back I am going to be playing it full-time. I like how things have been streamlined, and I like leveling. Grinding doesn't bother me much in wow because you level so quickly.

I can't wait to level a Worgen. It is all the same we have played before, but I still like it. I've only got 2 months to finish all my console games, before I never will.

I wish I felt that way, but it just feels more of the same to me. It just reminds me of why I quit playing rather than when I actually enjoyed playing. Maybe if I can hook up with old friends who used to play I will be ok.

[quote name='Fjordson']Really sucks that Amazon is already sold out of the CE. I was ready to pre-order it last week :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Why didn't you? They wouldn't have charged you until it shipped, in December.

Not that it helps you now, but I'm curious.

That big ass 4.7gb patch I pre downloaded a couple weeks ago is installing today and usual TUE downtime has been extended a little. I wonder what its installing. I mean surely that entire 4.7gb isnt going live already, the game isnt out for like 7 more weeks.

[quote name='Fjordson']Really sucks that Amazon is already sold out of the CE. I was ready to pre-order it last week :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

I found a couple places online that are taking pre orders for it still. Ill send you some links in a PM incase you dont see this.

Holy shit.

My warlock's fondest dream has come true with this patch--NO MORE SOULSHARDS. I now have extra bag space. And I really like the improvements to her Felguard--he now has a spinning attack plus can throw his ax to stun enemies. I started LMAO when he knocked an enemy on its ass at a distance with his new skill and said, "I can't wait to watch you die."

My hunter is very happy too with all her new pet stable slots. I must have spent a couple of hours running around taming new pets for her.

And I have 8 quests left to finish my Loremaster title. Good news--its only 8 quests. Bad news--its all phased group quests in Icecrown. I'm really beginning to hate Icecrown.

Holy shit indeed.... this update has more holes in it than swiss cheese. Game crashes, getting thrown out of battlegrounds for no reason, attacks not working, pets disappearing for no reason, graphic glitches, items missing, sound lagging, lagging connection, getting dismounted from flying mount, going from full health to dead in Dalaran, and on and on.

In other words..... we are now playing a public alpha test. And paying $15 a month for that privilege. Thanks Blizzard.

That stuff drops like candy now. Out of my 5 80s, 4 have the mount, squashling and helm. GG blizzard for upping drop rates to the heavens? One character I got all 3 in one loot filled pumpkin along with that sword. Not to diminish your achievement, I was psyched when I got my first one, but then I got it 3 more times in 2 days lol. I even got one on my friends character since he was out of town.

Got the Squashling on my first attempt (just got to level 78), so I hope I can get the mount before the event is over

I'm taking a short break for now, but will be back to Laughing skull (US) soon.

50+/- Gnome Warlock
80 Human DK

and a few misc. alts leveling up very slowly.

[quote name='360CoreGaMer']I'm taking a short break for now, but will be back to Laughing skull (US) soon.[/QUOTE]
My old stomping ground since day one. Any of the original guilds still around? I might use up a trial to go make fun of them for still playing.

The pre-Cataclysm events have begun!

What's this I spy in Stormwind?
twilightcult1.jpg

What's going on here? Looks mighty suspicious:
twilightcult2.jpg

I've been recruited!
Join the Twilight Doomsday Cult, and for a limited time, get this cool looking robe and neat sign!
twilightcult3.jpg

I really am disappointed with the hunter atm. Major nerf. Its like starting all over again at level 80 which is a treat.

[quote name='360CoreGaMer']I'm taking a short break for now, but will be back to Laughing skull (US) soon.

50+/- Gnome Warlock
80 Human DK

and a few misc. alts leveling up very slowly.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Jodou']My old stomping ground since day one. Any of the original guilds still around? I might use up a trial to go make fun of them for still playing.[/QUOTE]
Holy shit, haha. For the first couple years of the game I was on Laughing Skull as well (Alliance). I know Deus Vox is still an incredibly intense guild. Hopefully Pals 4 Life is still going as well.

The only Horde guilds I remember are End Game and Unfadable. Not sure if either is still active.

[quote name='Fjordson']Holy shit, haha. For the first couple years of the game I was on Laughing Skull as well (Alliance). I know Deus Vox is still an incredibly intense guild. Hopefully Pals 4 Life is still going as well.

The only Horde guilds I remember are End Game and Unfadable. Not sure if either is still active.[/QUOTE]
If P4L is still around, it's none of the original members. End Game for sure is gone since the leadership broke up long ago. Unfadable would be in the same boat as P4L. DV is, well, a PvE guild on a PvP server. The few times I did see them out in BGs they were fucking awful. That was years ago, so maybe they actually recruited some talent in that time.

You'd probably remember me, as I'm an officer with The Regulators. Our legacy remains as I hear people still say TR#1 in general chat. . .

I'm curious, any of us besides myself from twisting nether? I'd list my high level characters, but we don't have all day. Oh, also I'm on alliance.

[quote name='Gden']I'm curious, any of us besides myself from twisting nether? I'd list my high level characters, but we don't have all day. Oh, also I'm on alliance.[/QUOTE]

My realm is Twisting Nether but I am horde. I'd list all my high characters but you've probably seen me slapping you around anyways. ;)

[quote name='Jodou']If P4L is still around, it's none of the original members. End Game for sure is gone since the leadership broke up long ago. Unfadable would be in the same boat as P4L. DV is, well, a PvE guild on a PvP server. The few times I did see them out in BGs they were fucking awful. That was years ago, so maybe they actually recruited some talent in that time.[/QUOTE]
They have always been really great with PvE, though. My friend keeps up with that stuff more than me and tells me they're still a top 20 guild in the world. Crazy stuff.

And I totally remember The Regulators. That's awesome. I might have to make a character on Laughing Skull again for old time's sake.

[quote name='Fjordson']They have always been really great with PvE, though. My friend keeps up with that stuff more than me and tells me they're still a top 20 guild in the world. Crazy stuff.[/QUOTE]
Not surprising, since WoW has always been a loot game where PvE reigned supreme. By the time we quit, there were almost no PvP guilds left on what was originally a premiere PvP server. Personally, I couldn't stand the grind for gear to compete in PvP and it destroyed a good number of great PK guilds sadly.

[quote name='Lice']I really am disappointed with the hunter atm. Major nerf. Its like starting all over again at level 80 which is a treat.[/QUOTE]

When you pass level 80 everything will be different, have fun:)

What did they nerf for Hunter? I saw that they're removing mana and making them ranged rogues, but what else did they fuck up about the class?

A couple of quick questions:

I need to get Cataclysm deluxe edition for my wife and I need to have it on launch day.

I normally get my games through Amazon, but I don't see this as available for preorder.

Did I miss out on the change to preorder? Or is the game not available for preorder yet? Have they announced the release date?

Thanks!

You're way late to the party. Better check B&M stores on release day because the collector's edition is sold out online.

[quote name='Jodou']You're way late to the party. Better check B&M stores on release day because the collector's edition is sold out online.[/QUOTE]

Damn, I thought as much. Well last time I got lucky and walked into the Best Buy down the street from my office when it opened and they had stacks of the collectors edition, so hopefully that will be the case again.

Thanks!

[quote name='Puffa469']Damn, I thought as much. Well last time I got lucky and walked into the Best Buy down the street from my office when it opened and they had stacks of the collectors edition, so hopefully that will be the case again.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's really your best bet because BB is almost always the last to run out of them. I remember seeing them for Lich King a couple days after it came out because nobody really shops for them there.

[quote name='Jodou']Yeah, that's really your best bet because BB is almost always the last to run out of them. I remember seeing them for Lich King a couple days after it came out because nobody really shops for them there.[/QUOTE]

This is a true story for me, but for WoW Vanilla CE instead. I think a lot of people just assume Best Buy is gonna be sold out, and Best Buy gets way more copies than it should.

Now if only Best Buy could stop sucking...

[quote name='JasonTerminator']This is a true story for me, but for WoW Vanilla CE instead. I think a lot of people just assume Best Buy is gonna be sold out, and Best Buy gets way more copies than it should.

Now if only Best Buy could stop sucking...[/QUOTE]

I agree with your comments

Can anyone list (or provide a link) to all the major changes World of Warcraft has seen in say... the last two years?

Not all the little details, but just huge changes like the Warlock's soul shard deal. I know they have made finding a group for instances a lot easier, as well.

I want to jump back in with Cataclysm, but at this point I probably will have to reroll... I can't see using any of my two 80's off the bat because it seems like the game has changed that much.

Also, does anyone know of a good server to transfer to? I'll probably just transfer my characters off their home server to get a new start.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Patches

There's a list to all patches WoW has seen, with some highlights pulled out for each one. You're going to want to actually look at the patch notes for 4.0.1, as that's the patch that did a number of how many classes operate. You may think that the game changed a lot, but you aren't alone on that. The day 4.0.1 hit, every class had to essentially relearn their class. Everyone that left WoW that is is coming back for cataclysm will go through the same thing.

[quote name='Salamando3000']http://www.wowpedia.org/Patches

There's a list to all patches WoW has seen, with some highlights pulled out for each one. You're going to want to actually look at the patch notes for 4.0.1, as that's the patch that did a number of how many classes operate. You may think that the game changed a lot, but you aren't alone on that. The day 4.0.1 hit, every class had to essentially relearn their class. Everyone that left WoW that is is coming back for cataclysm will go through the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for, so thank you. The highlights really help.

The cross server dungeon finder is only limited to groups of five? Has there been any talk about increasing it for raids?

My work schedule really prevents me from doing the scheduled raids most guilds require. I have heard the raids have been made easier, are there more players who are up to just doing PUG raiding?

And yea, I know PUG's aren't the best, but like I said, it's hard to really commit to any sort of schedule within a guild. It's one of the main reasons I haven't really jumped back into WOW in the past year or so.

Currently, the Dungeon finder is limited to just five-man groups. The official line on a similar tool for raid's is "not happening", since raids usually allow for more freedom in your comp. Not every raid requires the same number of tanks and healers, for example. For 5-mans though, the tool is pretty handy. If you're a healer or tank, you spend maybe 2 minutes looking for a group...DPS, maybe 10 minutes or so. Sure beats using the LFG channel anyways.

When it comes to raids, they definitely made them easier to gear up for. That much I can guarantee. Once a new raid comes out, you can effectively ignore all the old raids. Raids themselves, you're still going to need a number of players who have the knowledge of their class, acceptable gear, and the ability to learn and execute a strategy. There's a lot of fights in Icecrown Citadel that are really easy to explain, yet still people can screw them up enormously.

Which brings us to PUGs. It's not too hard to get in a PUG, but the easier it is to get in, the less likely it is to succeed. So, you'll probably have to pay your dues with a lot of bad pugs to get gear and the learn the fights. Still, seeing and beating an entire raid with a PUG is quite possible...I myself never ran a raid with my guild, yet was still able to down Lich King 25 in a PUG. You'll still need the time investment, albeit in a less structured manner.

bread's done
Back